Our Kindergarten curriculum focuses on teaching children the delights of learning in a friendly and loving environment. Fun and colorful materials are used with many centers and hands-on activities to accommodate a variety of learning styles. The basic curriculum consists of Bible, Phonics (with Language Arts and Reading), Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies. To view curriculum specifics, please click on the ‘+’ to the left of a subject.
Biblical Choices is a multisensory, activity-based Bible curriculum created for kindergarten through grade six. This one-of-a-kind Bible curriculum is created by teachers, for teachers. Biblical Choices uses activity-based lessons that promote understanding and retention. Students gain confidence in themselves because they succeed at learning—and they have fun!
[toggle title=”Language Arts, Reading and Phonics”]
A Beka Letters and Sounds is the text for the kindergarteners, supplemented with the A Beka Kindergarten series of readers and My Blend and Word Book. Additionally, many phonics and language manipulatives are incorporated into the curriculum for a variety of learning styles. The scope and sequence includes:
- Phonics and Reading,
- Recognition of name, sound, and picture of long and short vowels and consonants,
- Sounding of blends, one- and two-vowel words, and words with special sounds
- Beginning phonics rules and special sounds
- Reading of sentences and stories from twelve books containing one- and two-vowel words and special sounds
- Letters, blends, words, and sentences
- Recognition of sentences by capital letters and periods
- Poetry including thirteen poems committed to memory
The math text for kindergarten is Saxon Mathematics. Saxon has a hands-on approach with a difference. All new concepts are developed through hands-on activities and rich mathematical conversations that actively engage students in the learning process. Concepts are developed, reviewed, and practiced over time. Students move from the concrete to the pictorial to the abstract.
The science text is God’s World by A Beka Book and is supplemented with Kindergarten Science Academy, where students get to participate in teacher led hands-on experiments and learn more about their world. The scope and sequence includes:
- Plants: God’s Plan for Seeds
- Animals: God’s Plan for Animals, God’s Plan for the Seashore
- Health and Human Biology: God’s Plan for Me (including safety and healthy living)
- Earth and Space: God’s Plan for Weather, God’s Plan for Seasons
[toggle title=”Social Studies”]
The students use Social Studies K by A Beka Book as the basis for their learning and participate in Kindergarten World Academy where they are treated to hands-on activities such as snacks from different nations. The curriculum includes:
- Community Helpers
- Children of the World: Studies of 10 different nations
- America: Our Great Country: map studies, famous Americans and places